DIL HOOM HOOM KARE....Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, and Lata Mangeshkar



DR. BHUPEN HAZARIKA

                                                              
LATA MANGESHKAR


(LYRICS, TRANSLATION & VIDEO)  The videos compiled by me on these magically unique and charismatic songs have been blocked by Youtube due to copy rights issue. I have posted the original  versions  which has been sung by Lata ji and the great legend, singer and composer Bhupen Hazarika , and unmatchable and subtle lyricist- Oscar winner Gulzar sahib, for a great movie Rudaali (professional mourning woman) which won 46 awards
The Lyrics with possible Meanings are:
دل ہوم ہوم کرے ، گبھراےؑ
Dil hoom hoom kare, ghabraaye 
My heart is puffing, and scared

گھن دھم دھم کرے ، ڈر جاےؑ
Ghan dham dham kare, darr jaaye 
The clouds are thundering, my heart gets terrified.

اک بوند کبھی پانی کی، موری انکھیوں سے برساےؑ
Ek boond kabhi paani ki mori ankhiyon se barsaaye 
I wish, sometime a drop of water flows from my eyes

دل ہوم ہوم کرے ، گبھراےؑ
Dil hoom hoom kare, ghabraaye 
My heart is puffing, and scared

تیری جھوری  ڈاروں، سب سوکھے پات جو آےؑ
Teri  johori daaroon, sab sukhe paat jo aaye 
I want to put in your lap all the dry leaves I have

تیرا چھوا لاگے ،  میری سوکھی ڈار ہریاۓؑ

Tera chhua laage, meri sukhi daar hariyaaye 
When you touch me, my dry bough will become green

دل ہوم ہوم کرے ، گبھراےؑ
Dil hoom hoom kare, ghabraaye 
My heart is puffing, and scared

جس تن کو چھوا تو نے ، اس تن کو چھپاوؑں
Jis tan ko chhua tu ney, us tan ko shhupaoon 
The body that you have touched, I am hiding that body

جس من کو لاگے نینا ، وہ کس کو دیکھاوؑں
Jis man ko laagey naina, voh kisko dikhaaoon 
The mind infatuated with your eyes, who do I show it to?

او مورے چندرما ، تیری چاندنی انگ جلاےؑ
O morey chandrama, teri chaandni ang jalaaye 
Oh my moon, your moonlight burns my body

تیری اونچی اٹاری ، میں نے پنکھ لیےؑ کٹواۓؑ
Teri uonchi ataari, mainey pankh liye katwaaye 
You are up on a high balcony; I have cut off my wings

دل ہوم ہوم کرے ، گبھراےؑ
Dil hoom hoom kare, ghabraaye
My heart is puffing, and scared

گھن دھم دھم کرے ، ڈر جاےؑ
Ghan dham dham kare, darr jaaye 
The clouds are thundering, my heart is terrified

اک بوند کبھی پانی کی، موری انکھیوں سے برساےؑ
Ek boond kabhi paani ki mori ankhiyon se barsaaye 
A drop of water sometimes could flow from my eyes

دل ہوم ہوم کرے ، گبھراےؑ
Dil hoom hoom kare, ghabraaye 
My heart is puffing, and scared

Movie/Album: रुदाली (1993)
Music By: भूपेन हजारिका
Lyrics By: गुलज़ार
Performed By: भूपेन हजारिका, लता मंगेशकर
Lyrics of Dil Hoom Hoom Kare in Hindi:


दिल हूम हूम करे.. घबराए
घन धम धम करे.. डर जाए

इक बूँद कभी पानी की

मोरी अंखियों से बरसाए

दिल हूम हूम करे.. घबराए


तेरी झोरी डारूं.. सब सूखे पात जो आए

तेरा छूंआ लागे.. मेरी सुखी डार हरियाए

दिल हूम हूम करे.. घबराए


जिस तन को छुआ तुने.. उस तन को छुपाऊँ

जिस मन को लगे नैना.. वो किसको दिखाऊँ

ओ मोरे चन्द्रमा.. तेरी चांदनी अंग जलाए

ऊंची तोर अटारी.. मैंने पंख लिए कटवाए


दिल हूम हूम करे.. घबराए

घन धम धम करे.. डर जाए

इक बूँद कभी पानी की

मोरी अंखियों से बरसाए

दिल हूम हूम करे.. घबराए..


Rudaali is a 1993 Hindi film directed by the Feminist Indian director Kalpana Lajmi, based on the short story written by famous Bengali litterateur Mahasweta Devi.

The title is a reference to a custom in certain areas of Rajasthan where women of a lower caste are hired as professional mourners upon the death of upper-caste males. These women are referred to as a 'rudaali' (roo-dah-lee), literally translated as 'female weeper' or "Weeping Woman" Their job is to publicly express grief of family members who are not permitted to display emotion due to social status.

Kalpana Lajmi, The director of the great movie Rudaali (1993) admits that Hazarika's music contributed hugely to making the film unforgettable, as did his evergreen track, Dil hoom hoom kare. This time it was Gulzar, who took the creative liberty of using the words" hoom hoom " from Hazarika'a original Assamese song, "Buku hom hom kore", instead of going with the literal Hindi translation "Dhak dhak".

On Lata Mangeshker's request, Hazarika sang the dubbed track himself. She and recordist Amil Sood were so mesmerised by his voice that they entreated Kalpana not to wipe it out. "So I had the song on the cassette and when Dimple requested me to send her all the songs before we left on location, I sent this one too. She was also bowled over and insisted we use his version in the film," remembers Kalpana. "I told her that there was no scope to use Bhupenda's distinctly male voice, but she still insisted I transfer the song on to a spool and take it along with us for the shoot."

The song was played during the scene in which Dimple turns into a widow. It was a 400-feet uncut shot taken at 4 am in the wilderness. Describing it as one of the finest scenes in the film, Kalpana says that once again Dimple insisted that Bhupenda's song be played in the background while she enacted the scene. Later, she again insisted that they retain the song in the film.

"So even though I knew that I should have really had a female voice singing Dil hoom hoom kare, I went with Bhupen da's voice," admits Kalpana. "Bhupen da later joked that of his huge repertoire of songs, this was the one that made him famous across India."
MUKHTAR

google.com, pub-7052951417805441, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Comments

  1. Thank you for the lyrics and, especially, the meaning, which had been boggling my mind these past few days that I'd been addicted to this song (was listening to the equally amazing Lata M's version), After several replays, I tend to think, in the context of the movie, that she means "I cut the height of your high pedestal with my wings?, meaning to signify that a so-called 'high caste' guy came 'down' looking for a soulmate in a 'low caste' woman; bringing out the futility and vanity of the caste system that divided the society, instead of keeping it just as a professional classification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insightful expression of the meaning of this song.

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring song. Thanks a lot for the meaning which I was thinking to find out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this beautiful song and the translation, as I do not speak Hindi.
    I am of Indian descent from the Caribbean and grew up with Indian songs, movies, culture. I would love to see this movie with English subtitles, but cannot find it anywhere. Any help to obtain a copy of the film would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p3zTEOiZio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a melodious song both male & female voice. Such a great film.Thanks a lot to the lyricist Gulzar sir,Bhupen sir,Lata madam, Actress Dimple mam also. Inka jitna bhi tarif karo kam hi hoga. Unforgettable song in this life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a song as this one
    Dil hoom hoom kare comes very rarely. Guljars lyric Bhupen hajarikas voice and the situation in the movie were so evenly matched, it is amazing. Bhupen hajarikas voice is melodious and has an amazing feel and depth. His rendering of the song conveys the feel of the character and her situation so well that whether we understand the language or not doesn't make any difference. An amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maye Ni Maye Mere Geetan de Nainaan Vich - Lyrics in Urdu, Gurmukhi and English meaning

NAYYARA NOOR .. AE ISHQ HAMEIN BARBAD NA KAR .. Madhubala Dilip Kumar